Transfer Evaluation Processes

Students at Kennesaw State

The Transfer Evaluation & Student Services (TESS) unit of the Office of the Registrar provides transfer students with the information and resources necessary for a successful transition to Kennesaw State University. A critical component of the transfer process is determining course equivalencies. The University System of Georgia (USG) offers transfer course guarantees for students who meet General Education requirements from USG institutions. There are also transfer guarantees from the USG via an articulation agreement for students who transfer courses from the Technical College System of Georgia (TCSG). KSU may extend transfer course guarantees via articulation agreements with other regionally accredited post-secondary institutions or international post-secondary institutions with equivalent of U.S. regional accreditation.

TESS coordinates the course equivalency process for courses in the General Education Curriculum, lower-division requirements, upper division requirements, equivalencies for credit-by-exam mechanisms, and military education. Each academic department is responsible for determining course equivalency for transfer courses that may be applicable to the student’s program, including upper-division requirements.

The equivalency review process generally does not begin until a student is fully accepted to Kennesaw State University and all relevant documents are received. All transferable coursework shall be assessed and dully noted on the student's KSU transcript.

For further details and overall policy information, please visit our Catalog.


  • For purposes of clarity, transferability is the initial eligibility that credits are acceptable from another post-secondary institution. Applicability refers to eligible transfer credit counting toward a student’s degree requirements.

    Transferability of credit is allowed from post-secondary institutions that are accredited by a U.S. regional accrediting association at the time the coursework was completed. Credit may be accepted for alternative accrediting bodies specifically recognized by AACRAO as long as the acceptance practice is reported as "AG" (generally accepted) by the flagship institution of that state.

    • Courses are transferable with a grade of “D”. However, some general education and major-specific requirements must have a higher grade to count toward requirements. English Composition courses are required a grade of “C” or higher for transferability.
    • Transfer credit for undergraduate coursework is not directly awarded for the following: internships, practicums, professional development workshops/seminars, work experience, graduate-level courses, lower-division Nursing courses, or remedial/developmental courses. If you would like to seek credit for your experiential learning, a Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) may be an option
    • Courses determined to be remedial/developmental are not eligible to transfer
    • If a student chooses to change majors within KSU, credit previously transferred may be reevaluated and applied as appropriate to the student’s new degree program
    • Grades earned in the transfer credit courses are not calculated into the institutional GPA
    • Students cannot request the removal of transferable and/or applicable coursework from their transcripts or audits
  • Undergraduate students cannot graduate or receive a degree without successfully completing course work or passing a satisfactory examination on the history of the United States and the history of Georgia and the provisions and principles of the United States and the Constitution of Georgia.

    KSU degree-seeking students satisfy these requirements by attaining the grades of “D” or better in the course POLS 1101 along with the course HIST 2111 or HIST 2112.

    • Transfer credit may also satisfy all the requirements if:
      • The equivalent course work to the above courses is from a USG institution.
        • The course(s) differs in the USG institution from the above course(s) but it is established that it meets the legislative requirements at the particular USG institution
      • The equivalent course work to the above courses has been approved as satisfactory for legislative requirement purposes from TCSG institutions or other regionally accredited post-secondary institutions in the State of Georgia.
    • Transfer credit equivalent to the above courses from outside of the State of Georgia or from credit-by-exam mechanisms will have history of Georgia and Constitution of Georgia requirements unmet. Degree-seeking students in these cases will have to take the KSU course (s) or pass the relevant Georgia History and/or Georgia Constitution exemption examinations available through our testing center
  • Prior learning assessment (PLA) is the process of earning college credit for learning acquired from other sources, such as work experience, military experience/education, professional certification, or portfolios. It is important to clarify that this process refers to the acquisition of knowledge and how it translates into college-level courses, not on experience alone. KSU has approved three PLA methods: credit-by-exam, departmental challenge exams, and portfolio assessments. Complete information on departmental challenge exams and portfolio assessments can be found on the PLA website.


    A student may receive college credit through approved credit-by-exam while a KSU degree-seeking student or before.

    KSU recognizes that high school students have the opportunity to take part in the Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB) programs or Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination (CAPE). Depending on the exam and score attained, a student may receive credit. The relevant testing body must send official test scores to KSU for consideration. KSU may honor AP or IB credit and course equivalent noted on the transcript of another USG institution.

    KSU recognizes College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), DANTES Subject Standardized Test (DSST),  and Foreign Language Achievement Testing (FLATS) exams. Credit will not be awarded for a course previously failed or audited. The relevant testing body must send official test scores to KSU for consideration. KSU may honor CLEP, DSST, or FLATS credit and course equivalent noted on the transcript of another USG institution. These mechanisms are accessible to degree-seeking students via the KSU Testing Center. To register visit:

    TESS is tasked with the equivalency process for credit-by-exam mechanisms. The complete credit-by-exam equivalency tables can be found at Credit by Exam.

    Military Experience/Education

    Credit earned for military experience/education from the U.S. Armed Forces branches that furnish the Joint Service Transcript (JST) will be transferred and evaluated in accordance with the guidelines established by Section 2.14 of the USG Academic and Student Affairs Handbook. From Fall Semester 2012 through Summer Semester 2019, KSU assigned a grade of “S” for military experience/education credit. To conform to PLA grading standards, a grade of “K” is assigned for military experience/education credit, starting Fall 2019. Information on the guidelines and requesting an evaluation of military experience/education can found at Military Transfer Credit.

    Additional PLA Guidelines

    Additional PLA guidelines include, but are not limited to, the following.

    • No duplicate credit will be awarded
    • If a student earns credit for the same course from different exams, credit will be awarded from the exam that would provide the most credit
    • When an exam score corresponds to the same credit as a completed course, the course credit will be applied, if the course grade is “C” or higher
    • Course equivalencies are included in degree audit and/or transcript
    • A grade of “K” is assigned when credit is awarded via PLA
  • KSU allows transfer of credit from institutions outside the United States with specific conditions. A foreign credential evaluation is required through an accredited agency from the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). A student may acquire a foreign credential evaluation through Lisano International, the Association of International Credential Evaluators (AICE) or a foreign credential evaluating service approved by a U.S. Federal Agency through prior confirmation from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. The foreign credential evaluation must include a verified copy of the original transcript, if it was not included in the initial submission of documents to KSU. The international coursework must come from an institution with accreditation equivalent to U.S. regional accreditation.

    To determine applicability to degree requirements, a student may need to provide information on the content of each completed course. This course content may require translation from a certified translator, if not in English. Please visit International Transfer Credit for more information. 

    Pre-approved Education Abroad coursework is governed by practices and guidelines established in coordination with the Office of Global Affairs and Office of the Registrar.

    International End-of-High-School Credit-By-Exam

    Kennesaw State will consider awarding college credit for subject examinations taken at the end of the high school in countries other than the U.S. To be eligible for consideration, the examinations must be given nationally and must report scores by subject (not merely a total score). Students who wish for the University to consider awarding college for subject examinations should contact the Office of Undergraduate Admission for more information. There is no guarantee that a foreign examination will be accepted for college credit.

  • Due to updates to KSU curricula, a readmitted degree-seeking student may have differing requirements from their initial year/term of entry. Transfer credits are re-evaluated in accordance with the new requirements and policies in effect for the year/term the student is readmitted to KSU.

  • When direct equivalence of a transferred credit to a KSU course is not possible, elective credit may be awarded. 

    A student may request a transfer equivalence review of transferred elective credit. The student must provide evidence, including syllabi, plans of study, and information on the content of the course or courses being requested to their academic advisor. The academic advisor will determine whether the request is to be forwarded to their academic unit or forwarded to TESS. In collaboration with the academic units, a decision to change or keep the established equivalence for the course or courses requested will be provided to the student. No additional requests will be allowed after this final decision. Elective credit awarded from PLA is not eligible for equivalence reevaluation.

If you hold one of the following degrees, there are additional applicability criteria that will impact the review of your credits.


    • Students with an Associates degree from a USG institution should refer to the USG Core Curriculum Transfer Agreement for transfer resources.
    • Associates in Arts and Associate in Science degrees from a non-USG institution will be reviewed on course-by-course basis according to KSU transfer evaluation policies.
    • Applied Associate degrees credits are generally not transferable and/or applicable to KSU. Eligibility may be determined through a Prior Learning Assessment, Departmental approvals and/or articulation agreements.
    • Any other Associates degrees not mentioned will be covered under the same process and policy as Applied Associate degrees.
    • U.S. regionally accredited Applied Bachelor’s degree credits are generally not transferable and/or applicable to KSU. Eligibility may be determined through a Prior Learning Assessment, Departmental approvals, and/or articulation agreements.
    • Anyone with any other U.S. regional accredited bachelor's degree or its foreign equivalent will be reviewed on a course-by-course basis. This will not waive any general education and/or prerequisite courses that are still needed according to your major or the State of Georgia Legislative Requirements.
  • Certificate or Occupational Degree

    • KSU does not accept courses which directly apply to a certificate or occupational degree.
    • If you would like to seek credit for your experiential learning, please see Prior Learning Assessment.